Carbon Monoxide leak at local daycare sends several to hospital

From the Mount Horeb Fire and EMS:

The Mount Horeb Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services responded to a carbon monoxide incident at 2:45 Thursday. The address was 8900 Ridgeview Drive in the Town of Springdale.

This is the address of Hearts and Hands Child Care and Preschool.

We arrived on scene to find five construction workers with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. EMS units from Mount Horeb, FitchRona, Barneveld, Cross Plains and Oregon transported the five patients to UW Hospital. One patient was in serious condition, four additional with lesser symptoms. The workers were using a propane powered floor machine on the gym floor. A carbon monoxide monitor was in use by the construction crews, but it did not alert them to the rising levels. The children, located in another area of the building in classrooms, were evacuated outside. All occupants were outside on Fire and EMS arrival on scene. All persons who were inside the building when construction work was being completed were evaluated on scene. In addition to the five transported patients, 54 children and all staff were evaluated on scene by EMS from Mount Horeb and Mazomanie.

Children were able to await reunification with families in air-conditioned Madison Metro buses. Families were provided with information on carbon monoxide and signs and symptoms to watch for. Fire crews from Mount Horeb and Verona worked to ventilate the building to remove the carbon monoxide to safe levels so occupants were able to return to the building at 1700h. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas produced by fuel burning appliances and equipment. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting and loss of consciousness.

Should this article be featured?: 

Mount Horeb Mail

114 East Main Street
Mount Horeb, WI

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Comment Here